RE: Editing and writing tests for jobs

Subject: RE: Editing and writing tests for jobs
From: "Sella Rush" <srush -at- MusicNet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:22:08 -0700

Although I didn't take a formal writing test when interviewing for my current job, I was certainly tested on other aspects of the job. I met individually with six different people, including members of the QA, integration, and development teams. The test was whether I could communicate with these people on their subject matters.

This was particularly true in the case of the developer, because our development team is almost entirely Romanian with varying English-speaking skills, and the man who interviewed me still struggles with the language. I know it was important that I demonstrate I could adapt to that relationship, that I could communicate effectively using simple, direct language, that I didn't get impatient or condescending.

[BTW--I can't tell you how much fun it is working with 12 Romanian developers and one Brazilian. It really adds spice to the workday, and it is interesting to be constantly confronted with different ways of looking at the world. It's also easy to strike up one of those crucial casual conversations by simply asking "so, what part of Romania are you from" and watching their homesick eyes light up.]

For the record, I have over seven years of experience and have no problem taking a test. I'm good at tests, so I'm happy to take advantage of my strength. My only problem is when I'm expected to hand-write procedures, as I was during a recent job search. I have less than legible handwriting, plus my approach to writing is write write write, edit edit edit. Scratch outs are not attractive!

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l