Re: FWD: Open Office experience out there?

Subject: Re: FWD: Open Office experience out there?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:58:57 -0300

Anonymous wrote:

I'm the only MS Word power user in my office. No one else is likely to
discover things that MS Word can do that the OO word processor can't do. I
haven't (yet) discovered any contributions on the open office mailing list
from someone using the OO word processor to create a full documentation
suite. If anyone else on the list has already had some experience in doing
this, good or bad, I would be interested to hear about their experience.

You might want to check for the thread on using master documents. I had a look at it yesterday: one person found the master document crashed OO when he tried to define a new page style in it, but others couldn't reproduce it. Unfortunately, I could.

However, some good news:

- automatic numbering uses fields, and appear to be completely stable.

- page styles can be defined. Among other things, the same document can easily combine landscape and portrait pages.

- documents in native format are about 40% the size of the same documents in MS Word format

- multiple text frames can be inserted, and (unlike MS Words) you can use styles freely within them.

- OO has a floating styles palette like FrameMaker's. By right clicking on a style in the palette, you can modify it.

Overall, OO is at least equal to MS Word, and in many ways seems superior to it.

"I could be the story of the man who rode high and fell hard, and had his spirit broken and crawled off into a hole like a dog, to die as soon as he could manage it. Or I could be the story of a man who rode high and fell hard, and then got up defiant and walked away in a new direction. Someone who never looked back, someone who never gave the mob any satisfaction. And that's the story I'm going to make them all eat."
- Kim Stanley Robinson, "The Years of Rice and Salt"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l