Re: networking handbills, or ???

Subject: Re: networking handbills, or ???
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 07:15:37 -0600

It sounds as if they're using these things as overgrown business cards, if
they're handing these out to people they meet. I'd be curious as to when
they find it appropriate (and not awkward) to do so.

For networking with ALHB's (actual live human beings), I think a business
card with a list of key skills might be more appropriate, but that's just
my impression. You can pack a fair amount of info on a business card,
although a tech writer should also take page layout into account, and not
hand somebody an entire mini-resume squeezed onto a card.

Even more helpful (I think) would be to list a few key skills on your
business card, AND the URL to your own Web site, where you could better
present yourself. Many companies make it possible to put up your own Web
site for free, or for a nominal cost. If you don't know HTML, this would
be a great time to learn it (although many of these Web hosting companies
offer a GUI that negates the need for you to know HTML).

I've not seen the kind of handbill you describe, but I really think a
well-designed business card pointing to an informative Web site would be
much more useful, and socially more appropriate.

-Keith Cronin

Today's interesting site: http://thesaurus.plumbdesign.com/index.html

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l