Help! pdf to Illustrator font problem

Subject: Help! pdf to Illustrator font problem
From: "bryan johnson" <bryan -dot- johnson -at- motoman -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 10:46:59 -0400

I am having a font problem when opening a pdf in Illustrator 8.0.
The pdf originated in Japan. I can view the text fine when opened in Acrobat. However, when I attempt to open the document in Illustrator I receive a "document contains PDF objects that have been reinterpreted. Fonts with foreign encodings have been reencoded". After clicking OK, the document opens with the text replaced with gibberish. I have tried creating another pdf with embedded fonts to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if my writing seems abrupt, but I'm under the gun!

Thanks again

Bryan K. Johnson
Technical Writer
Motoman Inc.