Re: Document Size and Page Numbers

Subject: Re: Document Size and Page Numbers
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 8:34:46

I agree with many of Tom Murrell's and David Neeley's points regarding
chapter-vs-contiuous numbering, and wanted to add a couple further notes:

1. I personally have found it easier to find things that are
chapter-numbered, if the doc is a large one, especially if the chapters
have some typographical mechanism for identifying the chapter at-a-glance
(e.g., shaded "tab" blocks in the margin with the chapter number, with the
shading bled to the edge so you don't even have to look at the actual pages
to find the section. Also, if you are trying to find something in relation
to something else, rather than indexed (e.g., "I know I saw an example of a
situation like that in the chapter on doohickeys...lemme go look..."), it
makes it easier to confine the scope of that search.

2. For large documents that are broken into multiple online (Word) files,
continuous numbering can result in more maintenance hassle (especially if
you are not unifying them within a single master doc file).
Chapter-specific numbering allows the management of a complex document as a
collection, if need be.
For example, with a certain piece of complex system documentation,
I've had the doc broken into discrete chapters, each with its own table of
contents and sign-off sheet; the scope of the constantly-evolving system
would incorporate new hardware into the existing system structure, while
discrete hardware groupings operated independently from one another. Each
hardware subsystem and its associated data collection software would be
handled in discrete chapters. The "front matter" of the document would give
a generalized TOC of the chapters, while chapter TOCs would give specific
details. When something changed in a subsystem, only that chapter would
have to be revised, reviewed, and signed off, with the revision history
reflecting the changes made. If we had continuous numbering on that doc,
we'd have to renumber the entire thing and get each independent area to
sign off on what they would consider a non-change (i.e., "It's just the
page numbering, who cares?") because of "someone else's stuff" -- it would
be perceived as a recurring, bureaucratic waste of time, and the user base
would come to resent the document.
Now, that's with an internal doc, written for an internal audience, on
a subject/scope that is unlikely to promote the reading of the doc from
cover to cover. YMMV. If it were a less complex system, I wouldn't have it
broken out the same way, so chapter numbering would be unnecessary.

Again, it depends on the doc and the audience.

Shauna Iannone
/"\
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
X HELP CURE HTML MAIL