Printing probs with PageMaker 6.5?

Subject: Printing probs with PageMaker 6.5?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:37:19 -0400

Jamie Porras is <<... trying to print a document on legal-size paper, and I
cannot get the items or graphics on the edges to print. I have adjusted the
margins NUMEROUS times, and regardless of my adjustments, the document is
printed with 1" margins.>>

One troubleshooting thing you should try right away is to print the file on
8.5x11" paper; if it prints fine, the odds are excellent that your printer
simply doesn't have enough memory to image an entire legal size sheet. That
used to be a particularly common problem with early PostScript printers.

Although it's true that most printers cannot print right to the edge of
paper (another problem that confounds many people), it's very unlikely that
this is your problem; the unprintable margin is usually no more than 1/4".
If inadequate printer memory isn't the problem, check the print dialog box:
it's very possible that someone selected "shrink to fit", which would make
the page fit in one dimension but not in another (and the part that doesn't
fit would thus not appear). I'm not betting on that being the problem, since
the more common bug in that case is that the document is distorted, not that
some graphics don't print.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
personality, and an obnoxious one at that."--Kim Roper

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l