RE: suggestions or support

Subject: RE: suggestions or support
From: "Wilcox, Rose (ZB5646)" <Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 16:49:35 -0700

Cayenne,
I just wanted to offer you some moral support. Almost two years ago now, I
was in the same position at my current company. I was the lone tech writer,
left out of the loop. I was geographically isolated from the rest of the
team, sitting out in the hallway outside of the security lock in an unused
conference room.
What I did:
- make a walk around from time to time
- when I discovered the rest of the team going to an official departmental
lunch, ensured I was invited next time
- continued to interface with my two bosses asking questions and making
suggestions

After much effort, guess what happened? Nothing. The situation actually
worsened, with developers not responding to questions or drafts, and no new
work coming in. I was devastated and would've left, but the early wave of
the IS slump started and there were no other jobs available.

I did ask for more work and finally my boss started farming me out to other
organizations. This did not really keep me busy and the work barely
trickled in. But eventually, one of the other organizations asked me to
transfer to them, and now I work for clients all over this company. It's
not my ideal job in the best of times, but it's much better than it was 2
years ago. And of course, in hard times, having a job IS my ideal job
<grin>.

If I could've done anything different in those times I would've:
* tried a little bit harder to keep up my walkarounds
* bugged my boss a little harder for training materials (I did ask, and he
said yes, but didn't cough up)
* been more assiduous at my own self training during down times when no work
was in the In basket
* gotten more support to keep my mood up and my self confidence up

Hang in there.

Rosie Wilcox

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l