RE: Recent unusual interview experiences

Subject: RE: Recent unusual interview experiences
From: Lorraine Kiewiet <lkiewiet -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:59:20 -0700

Hi Sharon,
I've got that one beat, sort of. Not as gross. I recently interviewed for a
highly technical writing job, but only the HR lady was doing the
interviewing. She spent over half an hour talking about the President of
the company's "odd" characteristics, such as his accent, his abrupt manner,
his inability to give people praise, his only giving you A and Z but not
the information in between, etc. etc. I never had a chance to discuss my
writing samples, really, because the conversation was dominated by her
description of the negatives. Then she wrapped it up by saying, "Do you
think you could thrive in this environment?"

I responded that in my many years in the computer industry, I've had to get
along with all kinds of people, and that several of my performance
appraisals mentioned my careful handling of bloody battlefield situations.

That wasn't good enough, I guess, because I did not get the call back for
the second interview.

Maybe I should have said, "Well, let's go meet him now and I'll find out!!"
But I was so dumb-founded...

--Lorraine

From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 07:53:32 -0700

I once sat thru a gang interview where people argued about projects and
occasionally asked me a question. As I took off my dress coat to put on the
back of the chair, someone asked if I was going to completely undress.
Since
I had my back to the table, I don't know who asked. Not that it mattered,
but it would have been nice to have a face to associate with it.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l