RE: Techwriter's toolkits and directions for tomorrow

Subject: RE: Techwriter's toolkits and directions for tomorrow
From: HALL Bill <bill -dot- hall -at- tenix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 13:29:36 +1000 (EST)

A long delayed addition to the thread on the impact of changing paradigms on
our toolkits and what we are likely to be doing as techwriters.

I have been too busy changing paradigms in my own company to have time to
follow up on this thread, but something about paradigms in technological
(rather than scientific) revolutions was passed on to me by one of our
systems engineers this morning that demands to be shared.

Check out NASA's New Design Paradigms Workshop 2001 page:
http://nsd2001.jpl.nasa.gov/index.html. There is a lot here relevant to tech
writing, but especially see the introductory presentation: Paradigm Shifts
and their Implications for the Aerospace Industry by Dr. Robert Belie,
Lockheed Martin - http://nsd2001.jpl.nasa.gov/presentations/belie.pdf.

There are also some people doing very interesting things in the systems
engineering world: check out http://www.incose.org that is likely to impact
how we write about systems.

Regards,

Bill Hall
Documentation Systems Analyst
Strategy and Development Group
Tenix Defence
Nelson House, Nelson Place
Williamstown, Vic. 3016
Australia
Tel: +61 3 9244 4820
+61 3 9244 4000 (Switch)
Mailto:bill -dot- hall -at- tenix -dot- com
----------------------------
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
(Frank Zappa, Packard Goose)

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr