RE: How to fend off a tech writer

Subject: RE: How to fend off a tech writer
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 17:33:07 -0400

There are stupid questions, usually asked by stupid people.

If I as a writer on a project, do not read the spec, do not check out the
code, and instead go to one of the developers and say "Can you tell me what
this thing is all about?" I am an idiot asking a stupid question.

If, on the other hand, I read the spec, I try out the code, and I go to one
of the developers and ask "I was checking out the latest build, and I see
that the Frammis function is done slightly different than the spec, and I
see it's more like what XYZ Corp (a competitor) is doing - are you gonna do
that in the other 15 places where it appears too?" I am asking an
intelligent question, a question that shows I have done my homework, a
question that shows I am aware, and I am thinking.

If you were the developer in the above situation, which tech writer would
you welcome, and which would you avoid?

My 2¢,

John

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr