RE: Recent unusual interview experiences

Subject: RE: Recent unusual interview experiences
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 17:16:46 -0500

At 10:26 AM -0500 5/9/02, Ed Gregory wrote:

If you can't stand the heat of the interview, then how well will you stand
up in a project status meeting with all of those same people around the
table? Can you think on your feet? Do you lose your cool? Are you easily
intimidated?

I worked at a large multinational where, even before the dot.com slump and
911, prospective technical writers were interviewed very thoroughly by the
creative services team. If they were being hired with an eye to helping with
a particular project or internal client, they might also have spent time
with them.

Existing team members were given a specific questions to ask. We were also
free to ask questions in areas that interested us. We would pass the
candidate around, sometimes with two or three of us interviewing
simultaneously.

We had to know from the interview process, rather than hiring on a
probationary basis, whether:
--the applicant had the depth of experience they claimed
--the applicant was likely to bluster somewhat (BS) on areas where they were
weak
--the applicant could remain calm and professional under pressure

Mostly that doesn't really replicate the pressure. It is different.

Putting pressure on an applicant is rather different than standing up to pressure in a meeting. The relationship is extremely different.

If I go through this type of interview, and they make an offer, I ask them VERY pointed questions about their environment.

This type of interview is not to be attempted by the ignorant, which 99.9% of the interviewers are. Most can't differentiate between pressure and abusive/rudeness.

Scott

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr