Re: REquest for advice on Workflow & Tools

Subject: Re: REquest for advice on Workflow & Tools
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:08:11 -0700 (PDT)

> My question is simple: can a mixed world of
> Word-to-Frame not only work,
> but make sense? I do appreciate the helpful
> comments.

I think if there is no other alternative, it makes
sense. After thinking about it a bit more, it might be
a good idea to start out with your proposed workflow,
and then illustrate what had to take place in order to
get from Word to good-looking, functional,
comprehensive deliverables. Share the good points and
bad points about the process, and open it up to
discussion on what could be done to further
streamline. They may be receptive at that point to
changing the workflow, whether it be developers
working in FM< a database-driven solution, or any
number of other possibilities.

> In regards to Visio, I need to be able to allow
> writers to incorporate
> Visio drawings into their documents.

I suggest not importing VSDs directly into the
documents. This can add serious file size bloat and
cause some OLE weirdness that I'm sure you'll want to
avoid (especially when dealing with a conversion to
FM). Instead, have them save the VSD as a WMF or EPS
and import it into the document. Have them supply all
images imported in this manner in case you cannot get
a good conversion (as sometimes it is hard getting
images out of Word and into Frame).

Another thought is to allow them to work as they see
fit for now, and after moving DOC to FM, save the DOC
as HTML and grab the PNG output of graphics (not the
JPGs, as they'll most-likely be hideous). Word stored
images in a native PNG format, and exports them as
such - they are as clean as the original objects they depict!

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr