RE: Recent unusual interview experiences

Subject: RE: Recent unusual interview experiences
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 13:37:29 -0400

Indeed.

There have been several times that I have been asked a lot of tough
questions. There have been times that I was subjected to something akin to
guerilla interviewing (I was interviewing for the Doc Manager position, and
I was confronted by all seven writers in the group at the same time, at
least two of whom had been passed over for consideration for the job). I
have even had some just plain bizarre "interviews" (imagine entering a room
with a single chair, three blackboards covered with words, phrases, and
drawings, and having someone enter, not introduce himself, and start by
slapping a pointer at one of the blackboards and announce "This is a quote
from Thomas Mann. What does it mean to you?").

Yet only once have I ever ended an interview early, and that was after about
15 minutes when both the interviewer and I had arrived at the conclusion
that I was way too senior for the position they were trying to fill. I said
that, since we were wrong for each other, the best thing to do was to not
waste any more time. I also volunteered to get them in touch with some
people I knew who were at the level they were looking, which they agreed to.
The eventually hired someone I recommended, and I got a nice thank you note
from them.

My 2¢,

John