Re: REquest for advice on Workflow & Tools

Subject: Re: REquest for advice on Workflow & Tools
From: "etymes -at- lts -dot- com" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 22:00:54 -0700

Joe wrote:

I'm thinking of this workflow:

Architect creates draft in Word 97 (standard, not upgradeable) --> I edit in Word --> Architect gets technical reviews --> I edit finals --> Architect gets approvals --> I publish with FrameMaker 7 and WebWorks to both PDF and HTML

Your rationale is good, particularly when your engineering community is more or less wedded to Word for simple docs. And you're right, Frame is good for single sourcing, and bad in a situation where the rest of the company uses Word. And Word is good as a development tool (you can turn on change bars and, to some extent, control changes that way) and not very good for some special things you need.
However you're likely to have your 'architects' want in on approvals of the page design, too. One way to handle that might be, after you edit the finals for content and import into Framemaker, to send out a PDF of the document for the architects' approval, thereby switching your 4th and 5th steps and giving them a final look at content AND design.
I'm curious as to what you mean by "non-approved changes" in your negatives about Word. If you lock your Master file, you can compare any incoming changed versions against your Master without committing to any of the changes until you decide. A simple descriptive naming scheme lets you keep track of which version and which author you're looking at.
Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr