RE: Is tech writing for me?

Subject: RE: Is tech writing for me?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:27:57 +0100

John Posada wrote:
>For a 101 level class on technical writing, for the end of year
>project, the instructor made us pick a topic that we didn't know. My
>project was an instruction manual on "How to Make Homebrewed Beer".
>Now, THAT research was fun.

In a class on how to construct a knowledge base, we were invited to create
one based on any topic for which we could provide source material (the
instructor suggested DSS leaflets on how to apply for benefits...) that we
had not ourselves written. I used a fantasy book and produced a knowledge
base on "How to find out what kind of fantasy creature you are"... (ie, elf,
dwarf, dragon, unicorn...)

One of the things I really enjoyed about my degree was the small but
significant number of lecturers who would explicitly encourage originality
and reward proof that you hadn't just "read the book". One of the things I
really disliked were the small but significant number of lecturers who
clearly figured that since we were just there to get the degree, their job
was to regurgitate the information and tell us how to expectorate it back to
them, with minimal timewasting on either side. Of course, for some of my
co-students (from what they said after the lectures) preferences were
exactly the other way round.

Jane Carnall
Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and outwith
my control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr