RE: Newbie needs help

Subject: RE: Newbie needs help
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 08:20:21 -0700 (PDT)

Articles tend to pay by word count. That's the way it is in fiction and non-fiction magazine writing (Courier 12pt is about 250 words per manuscript page with one inch margins). Techwhirl pays by the word. The price varies by market. I don't quite remember your entire post, so I don't remember if you mentioned who you'll be writing for and under what circumstances. Another possible source of information for you is the "National Writer's Union Freelance Guide for Writers"

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y02Y1078408Y5250777/qid=1020784428/sr=1-1/102-0051457-3927376

the link is to Amazon.com. This gives you a good rundown of rates and best practices for freelance writing, which if I remember is basically what you'll be doing. A friend gave me an older version of this book and it's been pretty useful. You might also want to try the organization links at my site:
http://hokum.freehomepage.com/Content/Links/Links_Fiction.html#Fic_Orgs
http://hokum.freehomepage.com/Content/Links/Links_Technical.html#Tech_Orgs

you can browse through those organizations and check out their web sites. They might provide helpful information for you. I mention the fiction writing links because there are some links to organizations that are for general writing, not just fiction.

Good luck

Sean Hower

technical writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email -at- yourgroup -dot- org by Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr