RE: Word TOCs from multiple docs ?

Subject: RE: Word TOCs from multiple docs ?
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- adelphia -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 16:37:16 -0700

Rd Safer than Master Docs? Oh yes indeed. RD fields are just a way of
colecting information from other documents. Masters are away or organizing
the whole writing project, and unless you're really really organized, all
the time, in advance, Masters can go very very wrong. RD fields can be
confusing, until you get the hang of it, and the Help article in Word isn't
teribly helpful (that's what friends are for :)but they can't actually do
any harm.

If you screw up a Master document structure, you can lose text, graphics,
who knows what. If yuo screw up the RD field sert up, all you lose is a
ToC, at which point which you can back up and try again.

Now it's true we know 2 or 3 people who have always used Masters and never
had a problem. My personal experience is what leads me to shout: It's Evil!
Run! Run away!

Just my tuppence ha'penny, of course.

Maggie Secara
~Word happens.