Re: tutorials vs. instructions

Subject: Re: tutorials vs. instructions
From: Michael Oboryshko <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 06:07:00 -0700 (PDT)

David Tillyer wrote:
> A student asked me the difference between a tutorial
> and instructions and I was at a loss for a precise
> distinction.

My 2 cents...

Tutorials have data:

The user manual says: "In the User Name box, enter the name of
the user..."

The tutorial says "In the User Name box, enter 'Joe User'"

Instruction manuals are usually designed so they can be browsed
and read out of sequence.

Tutorials are normally in sequence. Each step takes into account
the data that was entered for the previous steps. At the end of
each step, the tutorial should present what the cumulative data
should look like, so the user can compare it to their actual
results.

Mike O.

http://health.yahoo.com