Integrating Web Help with Browser-based Applications

Subject: Integrating Web Help with Browser-based Applications
From: "Anuradha Biswas" <anuradhab -at- salliemaesolutions -dot- soft -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 16:57:59 +0530

Hi,

We are facing certain problems with the current method by which we
integrate our html pages (Web Help) and the applications
(browser-based). We generate what is called an EnglishHelp.txt. his file
contains entries for each function in an application. The corresponding
folder name where the help is located, the home page name for the help,
and the html filename. For example:

Function Name/folder name/#index.htm/html filename.htm is an entry in
the text file.

As per the code in the application, the help file is recognized and
picked up from the correct location and displayed when a user clicks F1.
A single text file contains entries for all applications, since
maintenance becomes an issue otherwise.

If there are teams that use any other methodology, can you please write
to me? We need to find alternative methods to integrate help. Thanks.

Anu Biswas