Structure for GUI & Command Line Input Doc

Subject: Structure for GUI & Command Line Input Doc
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 10:46:23 -0800

I have inherited a user manual for a product that
includes both a GUI and a Command Line Interface
to configure the software/hardware on Unix.

Currently there are separate chapters for GUI &
CLI, and am questioning the wisdom of this practice.

Recognizing that some commands are not available
through the GUI, yet a lot of the information is
duplicated in both chapters.

I am contemplating combining these two chapters
to emphasize the commands and actions rather than
the means to accomplish the task. I want to focus
on what the user is trying to do, rather than how
they accomplish it.

It makes sense to me anyway. If I want to accomplish
a certain task, I need to know WHAT command & options
to use. Secondarily, I then need to know HOW to do it.

Any real world examples or experience would be
appreciated, along with thoughts on this.

I think along the same lines at the local video store.
Combine the videos and DVDs together. What I want is
a movie, the format is secondary, since I have both.
Besides, for people who only have video, they never
go to the DVD section, and will never know what they
are missing.

CB
--

Surfy! http://www.surfy.com Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access