Re: Contracting question

Subject: Re: Contracting question
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 07:31:30 +0200

>If I find a better, stable job, can I
>stop a contract mid-way?

Yes, but it'll probably cost you.

Firstly, you may become liable for damages to the contracting company. If
your contract is typical, you commit yourself for the duration. If you
simply walk away, it is a clear breach of contract and they may sue you.

Secondly, you may burn your name. Something like this (a contractor
walking out in the middle of a job) has happened to our company once, and
I certainly remember the name of the guy. And I am certain to mention the
incident if asked about him.

Remember that, in a contract, _both_ sides commit to something. How would
you feel about a plumber who walks out halfway through the job? Or about
an employer who dropped you midway through the contract because they
found somebody cheaper?

You could try to negotiate a premature end to the contract, and you may
be successful. (Then again, you may not be.) This would avoid the lawsuit
risk but may still generate bad feelings towards you, although of course
to a lesser extent than if you simply walked out.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345