RE: tutorials vs. instructions

Subject: RE: tutorials vs. instructions
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 16:53:37 -0400

OK, my contribution, based on a recent experience.

We just got these snazzy new IP phones. They offer 50 (count 'em, 50)
different "rings." The manual tells you how to plug the phone into the wall
jack.

A call came in that I wanted to transfer to another extension.

Nothing about that in the manual.

The email that our IT support folks sent us tells how to file a support case
and provides a link to a tutorial about the new phone.

Still no INSTRUCTIONS about how to transfer a call.

I go to the tutorial, in no mood to "learn," but it's better than nothing.

Nice multimedia presentation, animated graphics and all, stepping you
through how to use all the buttons on this snazzy new IP phone. Whoopee!

Still no INSTRUCTIONS about how to transfer a call.

I go back to the original caller and apologize. He hangs up, laughing
hysterically that BIG NAME COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY that MAKES these phones
can't figure out how to transfer a call.

I call the tech support number in San Jose. Nobody's awake there. Get into
voicemail hell.

Hang up.

Still don't know how to transfer a call. Don't care. Will just hang up on
the poor ! -at- #$%^&*!! next time.

Marguerite