Re: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web

Subject: Re: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 15:56:07 -0400

Sandy,

Just to clarify, Johanne may have an issue with Netscape, but our application runs in either Netscape or IE.

However, there are considerations beyond "standard" html.

First, developers get into religious wars all the time over which browsers are or are not W3C compliant with regard to which features. I'm no expert, but apparently just writing W3C-compliant code doesn't guarantee browser compatibility.

Second, our customers--remember them?--want functions in our application that are above and beyond what html is capable of. They can run the basic functions of our application without the latest version of Java, for example, but they cannot access all of the advanced features they have demanded. So it is worth their while to pay attention to what we tell them in terms of browser versions.

Again, this is entirely different from the problem of designing a public Web site, where least common denominator is the best strategy.

Dick