Re: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web

Subject: Re: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 11:06:03 -0700

At 10:36 AM 5/1/2002 -0500, you wrote:

FWIW: Our IT guy shared this article with us this morning. Interesting to me
because we continue to develop for both Netscape & Explorer platforms
because a few of our customers somehow manage to be in the ~2% that use
Netscape. (I don't know OneStat.com & how their affiliations may bias these
results. Digest at your own risk.)

It's mire important to analyze your own audience (using your web logs, etc..), instead of relying on these sorts of studies.

The ratio of people using IE on, say, microsoft's web page could be vastly different than the ratio of people who use IE on a geeky, techie site devoted to bashing microsoft, for example.

I expect my company's page probably has a lot more people on netscape for solaris, opera, lynx, or other "non-standard" browsers than that study claimed.

-Katie