RE: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web

Subject: RE: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 12:34:16 -0400

"Kieffer, Barry" <barry_kieffer -at- mentorg -dot- com> wrote:

>There has got to be a point where the documentation states that in order to use our newest software, you MUST have the following.
>
>But where is that point?

It depends. Our software runs on a Windows server, against an MS SQL or Oracle database, and is delivered to a browser client (with some degree of platform independence on the client side). We tell our customers exactly what server versions, database versions, and browser versions we test against, as well as any other specific requirements (size, speed, etc.). We generally stay with the latest two versions (sometimes three versions) on all three platforms and announce in advance of our release date which older versions we are dropping support for.

Because we are selling to corporate customers and those customers keep their IT infrastructure up to date anyway, we can get away with this. I don't know how to answer your question for retail software, though. And I'm not sure that you would have the same kind of leverage with traditional client/server or desktop applications.

Dick