Re: Writer Levels

Subject: Re: Writer Levels
From: Rivka <rivka -at- direct -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:14:06 -0700

I have found this set of descriptions and suggestions helpful over the
years, and so have colleagues, employers, and head-hunters with whom I
work.

Hope you too find it helpful.

Rivka Arieli
Senior Technical Writer, Editor, Instructional Designer
in Vancouver, BC

Beginning Technical Writer
Has a background in English or Journalism, preferably, but not
necessarily with a
university degree. Has professional non-fiction writing experience. May
or may
not have some training in technical writing, but is willing to take
training.
Is able to prove with samples and references:
* an excellent command of English,
* learns fast and easily,
* a sense of humour,
* able to write in a variety of styles,
* able to organize information in different ways for different purposes,

* pays careful attention to detail,
* able to manage time well, establish and maintain priorities, and meet
deadlines,
* able to interview others and hear accurately,
* able to accept criticism and comment and use it constructively,
* able to work well with all kinds of people in differing circumstances,
often
under stress.

Junior Technical Writer
Has all attributes of the Beginning Technical Writer.
Has limited eperience working with subject-matter experts, editors,
other writers,
printers, artists, designers and others. May or may not have some
courses in
technical writing.
Writes draft material to existing plans and designs. Re-organizes and
rewrites
materials written by others.
May be able to do limited copy editing and proofreading.
Knows how to use at least one sophisticated word-processing program and
can
work on a PC.

Experienced Technical Writer
Has all attributes of the less-experienced levels of technical writing.
Is trained, experienced, and good at the following and can prove it
through a
portfolio and several references.
Document planning.
Writing.
Interviewing.
Researching.
Rewriting.
Has some experience working with subject-matter experts, editors, other
writers,
printers, artists, designers and others.
Capable of copy editing, proofreading, and may be able to perform
substantive
and other editing.
Knows how to use at least one sophisticated word-processing program and
can
work on a PC. Has some experience with several other sophisticated word-

processing and desktop publishing programs and with a variety of
hardware.

Senior Technical Writer
Has all attributes of the other levels of technical writing.
Is trained, experienced, and good at the following and can prove it
through a large
portfolio and a variety of references.
Planning and managing documentation projects.
Producing and meeting budgets, schedules, objectives, milestones.
Employing, supervising and managing staff: writers, editors, artists,
printers, etc.
Excellent organizational skills.
Editing.
Writing.
Interviewing.
Researching.
Rewriting.
Has extensive experience working with subject-matter experts, editors,
other
writers, printers, artists, designers and others.
Has broad experience with several sophisticated word-processing and
desktop
publishing programs and with a variety of hardware.

What A Writer Should Ask Him/Herself
What type of writing do I enjoy most, and do I do well?
Have I ever completely planned a document or document set for a product
or
service?
Have I completed writing such a document or set?
Have I ever hired or contracted staff? Were they happy and productive as

required?
Has my employer been happy with the results of my work?
Have I worked with: engineers, programmers, managers, end-users,
technicians,
the general public, subject-matter experts? How often? How much? What
were
the results?
How much money do I want to make?
What are my actual expenses?
For what types of product do I want to write? For what types do I not
want to
write?
What kind of writing and/or editing do I not want to do?
What do I need to learn?
How well am I taking criticism?
Do I hear what is really being said to me?
When did I last take a course that was connected with my work?
Into which of the levels of technical writing do I fit?
Who are my references and will they support me? Have I asked them for
support
for my current application(s)?
Is my portfolio up to date and appropriate for this application?
Is my resume appropriately written for this application?
Have I overstated anything in my resume?

What an Employer Should Ask Him/Herself
How assertive does the writer need to be?
How much experience does the writer need to complete this job?
How fast does this writer learn?
What type of personality will best fit this job and fit with other
staff?
When must the document(s) be published? distributed?
Can this writer meet the required deadlines?
What resources can and should I provide to the writer:
* equipment
* furniture