RE: TW rates (was "Jobs in the NJ pharmaceutical market")

Subject: RE: TW rates (was "Jobs in the NJ pharmaceutical market")
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:48:46 +0100

> Just over a week ago, I was asked whether I'd be
> interested in a 2- to 3-week
> job 3.5 hours away (which they called "commuting
> distance"!) at a whopping $600 per week.

Goober responded:
>Change that to $600/day, where day is defined as 6
>working hours, and pay all my expenses while on the
>road ($0.32 per mile, plus tolls, gas, and meals), and
>THEN I'll think about it.

Possibly phrased SOMEWHAT differently if you actually wanted the job (which
I wouldn't: a 7 hour commute PER DAY is just not even worth thinking about,
and even 600 GBP a week wouldn't pay enough to cover temporary living
expenses and make a living wage (which is always the other option for a temp
job).

On the other hand, in my limited experience <g> of being headhunted, if they
want you more than you want them, and if they want you ENOUGH, a
politely-phrased but sincerely felt refusal is a wonderful bargaining tool.

"The project is estimated for approximately 100 hours." (I'm guessing this
is what 2-3 weeks means.) "My rate is XXX per day based on 2 5-day work
weeks, plus you cover my hotel costs assuming a 2-week stay at a reasonable
hotel close to your site, to include breakfast/evening meal daily." (Either
that or check hotel costs and charge accordingly: but IME a big company
handles expenses a lot more easily than a one-person company.) "Otherwise,
sorry, it would cost me more to work for you than I can afford."]

Of course, that depends on being ABLE to leave home for two weeks and do
nothing but work 10 hours a day... and assuming they've estimated the amount
of work correctly and this isn't the kind of project where 2-3 weeks elides
into 2-3 months.

I've never tried this, mind you, but I did once push a 30K offer up to 35K
with 2 days of polite refusals. The trouble was, I actually *meant* the
refusals...

Jane Carnall
The writers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing in
a small headhunter. Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and
mine alone. Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically
and outwith my control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.