SOLVED:Characters overlapping in printed PDF

Subject: SOLVED:Characters overlapping in printed PDF
From: johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 7:39:49

Thanks to everyone who responded.

In the end, I re-distilled the PDFs using Acrobat 5 (instead of 4), which I
have on my own workstation, and the problem no longer occurs.

Though none applied to this particular situation, I'd like to share some of
the tips I received privately, should someone else search the archives for
this topic some day:

"If you do not have the "Do not use printer fonts" box checked on the Fonts
tab in the Acrobat Distiller Properties window, you might try re-distilling
with that option checked.

Also, sometimes re-distilling with a different printer driver selected on
the "Details" tab in the Acrobat Distiller window makes a difference in the
way the resulting PDF file prints out."

"Never use the default generic PostScript printer driver that comes with
Windows. Always use the PostScript printer driver that comes with
Distiller. I assume you know not to use the "save as pdf" (Egads!!! Never!!
-jc) function in Frame (it's buggy as all getout) , but rather to print the
document to file using the Distiller printer instance, which creates a
PostScript file. You then use Distiller on the .ps file (in Windows you
usually have to rename the .prn file to .ps) to create the pdf."

Cheers!

Johanne Cadorette