Re: General typography concerns

Subject: Re: General typography concerns
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:05:09 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com>

> "If you know even a little bit about typography, a simple walk
> down the street can be painful."

And not just "typography" but information design
in general, of which typography is a component.

>The world around us abounds in bad typography. One of my friends...
>(is) constantly doubly amazed -- at the bad
> typography that gets perpetrated by people who should know better, and by
> the fact they get away with it.

In what sense, I have to ask, do "they get away with it"?
Well-designed websites and print materials generate business.
Badly designed ones turn people away. Not in every single case,
perhaps, but over the long haul, quality pays off. (But note that
quality isn't about "elegance" but about fitness for purpose.)

> there *is* no such thing as good
> typography on a computer screen, just varying degrees of "bad"

Perhaps you mean "fine" typography, which would certainly
be rare if not impossible in a low-res output device. But "good
typography" -- typography that does what it needs to do
neatly, cleanly, efficiently, quietly -- I see some of it around.

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia