RE: Software User Guide as Specifications Doc - Anyone tried it?

Subject: RE: Software User Guide as Specifications Doc - Anyone tried it?
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:43:40 -0600

RE: I've worked on a user guide that became the de facto functional
specification.

Back in the mid-1990s I attended training called "Writing Documentation Your
Users Will Want to Use" by Communitec, Inc. of Ann Arbor, MI, (now defunct)
that advocated essentially the same thing.

The premise was centered on project management and the concept that the
*outline* of the user manual and the software project specification could be
essentially the same thing and that both should be created at the outset of
the project. It did then and still makes sense to me, and to hear that it
happens in de facto and after-the-fact fashion serves to reinforce that. I
expect lots tried it, although it was too radical for my employer.