Re: Consistent & Variable Information

Subject: Re: Consistent & Variable Information
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:38:17 -0800

We currently provide two guides, one for each flavor,
and each contains all of the information for all three OS
versions. Each OS version is in a separate chapter, with
all of the information for one OS in the one chapter.

I'm looking for "presentation to the customer" suggestions.
Once I settle on that, then I can get into the mechanics of
how to accomplish the goal using conditional text, insets, etc.
Other respondents have provided useful suggestions on this,
and I thank them in advance of using the offerings.

My first thought is to structure the document such that the
common information is at the beginning of a single book,
and the variable information for each flavor/OS on a separate
page or two at the back of the book.

This would provide the customer with a way to easily find the
specific information for their flavor/OS, and still simplify
the maintenance of the common information.

Other thoughts and presentation ideas solicited.

In some circles around here, providing the user with
information on features they didn't purchase is considered
a marketing tool. A way to let a actual user know what
else is available, since the buyer is usually different
from the person using the product. This allows the user
to see what possibilities there are for the product.

CB

--

Surfy! http://www.surfy.com Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access