Re: JavaHelp and XML

Subject: Re: JavaHelp and XML
From: David_Slonosky -at- i2 -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:55:41 -0400

The only binary files that are generated are the full search database
files. If you want to generate your own full search database files, then
you can edit in ForeHelp, just pass along the ASCII stuff into CVS, then
get the release manager to build the full search database and test it.

OK, let me describe the process I used. You might want to get in a Java
expert at your site if your setup differs from mine.

1. Install Java JDK or JRE 1.3. Make sure the CLASSPATH is updated to
include the Java library files. I think the installation does this
automatically.
2. Install JavaHelp 1.1.
3. Install JavaHelp 1.1.2_01 patch. Make sure the CLASSPATH is updated to
include the JavaHelp library files. Also make sure your PATH is updated to
include the Javahelp \bin directory.
4. Change directory to your output from your ForeHelp project.
5. Create a backup of the existing JavaHelpSearch folder.
6. Delete the existing JavaHelpSearch folder.
7. Type "jhindexer -verbose -logfile <whatever name you want> ."

You can view your helpset by running hsviewer, which is an executable
found in the demos\bin directory in your installed JavaHelp folder. And
you have to delete the JavaHelpSearch folder every time you build, or the
build of your project will fail.

On my NT system, you have to reboot before any changes to the CLASSPATH
and PATH environment variables take place.

You would still be authoring in ForeHelp to create the JavaHelp project
files, but this approach removes the need to check in the binary full text
search DB files in the JavaHelpSearch folder.

If any of this is confusing, contact me off-list.

David

I'm to use CVS to maintain version control. CVS doesn't handle non-ASCII
files very well. Developers would probably prefer to tweak the HTML and
XML
files by hand. I have no problem with editing the HTML topic files.
However,
I'm less sure about editing helpset, map, and TOC files.
Does anyone know of a HAT that would maintain JavaHelp files in ASCII
format? Would I be better off with a simple XML authoring tool? Has anyone
else ever maintained a help project using CVS?
I'm hoping for a solution with a small learning curve - deadlines are
tight,
and I have a LOT of other documentation to maintain on top of the help
system.
Thanks,
Fiona.