RE: UML?

Subject: RE: UML?
From: "MacKenzie, Colleen" <cmackenzie -at- DENOVIS -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:07:45 -0400

Jennifer wrote:
>From doing some research, I have a basic understanding of the concepts
behind UML. However, before diving head on into a manual about it, I'd very
much be interested to hear about other tech writers experiences with it -
why did you decide to adopt it into your work, how hard did you find it was
to integrate into your existing skill set, what kind of environment are you
working in? And, of course, is UML helpful to you - worth taking the time to
learn?

There is a tonne of information out there on the web about UML, I'm just
looking for a little techauthor perspective. Thanks very much in advance,

I work on UI design team that designs through a structured methodology that is derived from UML. When I started this position, most of the models had already been developed. I have found the models to be immensely helpful in my work, especially the activity diagrams and hierarchical task models (not sure if the latter is from UML though). If done right, this is your task analysis. So, I don't have experience developing these models, and my sense is that they can be extremely time-consuming, but if you have the time and strength, I'd suggest trying it.

HTH,
Colleen MacKenzie
deNovis, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill