Re: lurkers and lurking

Subject: Re: lurkers and lurking
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:36:32 -0700 (PDT)

> >hold--and we are better trained, better educated, and better
> motivated than
> >many of the current group of tech writers who seem to have gained
> >employment in (what used to be)a high-demand employment field.

It still is a high demand employment field. Every company who
produces something has one or more technical writers in the
company...they may not be called that, but SOMEONE is writing their
stuff.

However, because lately, so many people have heard how lucrative it
is, they've flooded the market armed with nothing other than a piece
of paper that says "Today I am a Technikal Writr", a license for Word
that came from with their Sony Vaio (with the 40 gig HD for all the
ripped Blink 182) and a hacked copy of Adobe. They think that because
they've put their warm butt in a chair and didn't open their mouth,
that when they finished, they were prepared to compete against those
who'd "walked the walk".

To their benefit, timing was on their side. An economy that thought
it was going to get highly experienced writers at low prices because
of high-tech companies going bust, and newbies who were willing to
take $20/hr to get the experience.

Unfortunately, what is happening is that the companies are going to
these newbies and saying "Create a Network Admin manual for our
enterprise network spread out over over 6 countries and let me have
it in FM in three weeks, JavaHelp next month, and while your at it,
give me an XML file" because they were able to make those request
before, and the newbies, because they've never openned their mouth,
are going "Huh?...Wha??? techwr-l...HELP ME!!!!!

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I'm not flying...I'm falling with style"
---Buzz Lightyear
http://games.yahoo.com/