RE: Software User Guide as Specifications Doc - Anyone triedit?

Subject: RE: Software User Guide as Specifications Doc - Anyone triedit?
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:45:17 -0500

In the small companies I've been associated with the SDLC has been:

Marketing has an idea for a product. Marketing says "We should have a
product that does X". Lead programmer says "Okay, we can do that".

Lead programmer starts coding. Builds a demo version and says "While I was
working on it, I figured it could do Y in addition to X so I put that in
too". Everybody gets together and looks at it and says "Wow... cool; maybe
it should do Z, Alpha and Beta as well and how about if it did Y this way
instead of the way you did it". Lead programmer says, "okay; I'll change
the way Y works, somebody else should tackle Z, alpha and beta; who wants
to do that??"

And so it goes. Each time a new version of the product is built, I install
it from the development server and explore and change the docs.

And you know what?? I'm not a bit frightened. I like it that way.

Mike

---
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Technical Illustrator
Graphic Designer - Desktop Publisher - MS Office Expert
Office: (262) 694-1028 - Pager: (414) 318-9509 - Fax: (262) 697-6334
Home (262) 694-0932 - mike -at- writestarr -dot- com - http://www.writestarr.com