Re: SDLC and role of Tech.Writers

Subject: Re: SDLC and role of Tech.Writers
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:03:59 -0600

I think this in part a management question, and one that often gets
neglected.

If you manage a doc team, or in any way can influence the decision making
process, you do yourself and your team a disservice if you do not try to
establish a place for documentation within the SDLC.

All too often, an overly timid manager will not fight for the doc team -
I've had two managers that were total pushovers. I seldom see the issues
inherent in managing a doc team discussed on this list, but to me one of
the most important characteristics a doc manager (or even a team lead) can
have is the social skill and confidence to comand some respect, for
themselves and for their team.

The respect I'm taking about is NOT the "woe is me, you don't know how
hard I worked on choosing this font" crap that Tina the Techwriter whines
about in Dilbert. I'm talking about making it clear to management that
documentation IS part of the product, and working to define just what that
part is.

Our line of work is often relatively low-profile within many companies, so
we need an advocate. I've twice worked under managers who were terrific
writers, editors, and all-around nice people, but who let their superiors
(and their EQUALS) walk all over them. They thought that by saying "yes"
to every demand they were showing themselves to be great managers. Instead
they were doormats, and their team suffered the consequences.

Many times doc managers are simply writers or editors who have been around
for a while, who are given the position based on seniority, not management
expertise. Writing and managing are distinctly different skills. Yes, one
person can be good at both. But in most cases, that one person will have
to do some work to get good at doing both.

Bottom line, in MY perfect world (in which Andrew Plato would still be a
member of Techwr-l), documentation DOES have a part in the SDLC. But don't
expect it to be handed to you. Instead, you need to be willing to carve
out a spot for yourself, your team, and your part of the product.

-Keith Cronin

If we stop snorkying, then the terrorists win.