RE: SDLC and role of Tech.Writers

Subject: RE: SDLC and role of Tech.Writers
From: anne_mcdonough -at- Teamsignal -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:45:28 -0400

Actually, the companies I have worked for that use SDLC, things have
proceeded along very nicely with lots of input from me, the lone tech
writer. Using (almost said utilizing-geez, too many years in US government
contracting) SDLC, I was involved from Day !, writing specs, the project
plan, all the way through the user guides, maintenance manuals, training
materials, etc. SDLC is the tech writer's shot to get involved from the
beginning. I have found in my 14 years doing this, that SDLC went a long
way in eliminating the "we are still coding, why can't you write the user
guide?" mentality.

Anne McDonough

In my experience, the software development life cycle proceeds merrily
apace with little or no input from or consideration of technical writers.

"Docs not done??? Give us what you've got, we're shipping anyway."

Mike