Re: Ever wonder why techwhirler lives seem so crazy? (a long rant)

Subject: Re: Ever wonder why techwhirler lives seem so crazy? (a long rant)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:22:59 -0300

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

At 10:29 AM -0700 4/21/2002, Bruce Byfield wrote:

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

Well, of course. This should go without saying.

The problem comes in when you do see that there's a problem in updating the
schedule, and inform people, and your information is ignored (or management
gives you flak for "changing your schedule and endangering the project
schedule"). In this case, your published schedule, which clearly delineates
your dependencies and specifies exactly when your work is due, protects you
from such unfair blaming tactics.

We seem to be saying much the same thing after all. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done about the flak, except to make your situation as clear as possible.

(Side note: has my writing tone gone completely off the wall in the past
week without my realizing it, or what? Twice now I've gotten responses that
seem to me to be both snarkily disrespectful and dismissive of any
pretensions to professionalism I might have, and unjustified by what I've
actually said, from list members who do not normally behave this way. It's
bothering me.)

I can't speak for anyone else. However, what I was responding to was the comments that "that is not your problem" and "bad assumptionson someone else's part don't constitute an emergency on your part." Both those phrases sound very isolationist to me, and I have certainly encountered writers who hold such views. I certainly do believe that such views are unprofessional (and probably a main cause of the lack of respect that many writers complain about).
My apologies for mistakenly believing that you held such views.

I suspect that, for many people on the list, emotions are running high after the last couple of days. Many of us may be over-emoting, and over-sensitive right now. I don't exclude myself from this comment, either.

And, of course, there's a peculiar horror in misunderstood by any writer at the best of times, even if the misunderstanding is minor.

"Better fail in a grand style than succeed in a mean one - you won't enjoy the successes you get the second way."
- Fritz Leiber, "The Oldest Soldier"