Re: For the Sake of Newbies

Subject: Re: For the Sake of Newbies
From: Thom Randolph <thom -at- tctrandolph -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:30:42 -0700

At 09:27 AM 4/19/2002 -0700, Cook, Jenise wrote:

==First, the members of Techwr-L do not have the "power" to silence anyone's
voice. Again, I really enjoyed Andrew's role on the list, however his
leaving is his choice. I do understand that he hasn't done tech. writing for
a year and is focusing on network security (a wise choice). That's good
enough reason to leave a resource and seek another. However, I am
disappointed in him that he has chosen to allow dissenting voices to silence
his. I hope our newbies do not follow his example.

I don't intend to annoy you, but there is something you should understand about this list. While other members may not hold any censorial ability, Mr. Ray does indeed censor the opinions expressed on the list.

I have had perfectly studious and non-attacking responses bounced repeatedly because of purely technical issues. Strangely enough, moments later the same, supposedly infringing response from a different poster was allowed, with Mr. Ray's excuse being "well, I can't monitor EVERYTHING". On more than one occasion, when I have attempted to post a response that challenged Mr. Plato's derision of another list member, my response was refused as a "personal attack" because it took issue with HOW Andrew spoke, instead of WHAT he said. If Mr. Plato was free to demean and insult, while others are not equally free to challenge that denigration, there is no free speech. This has been enforced time and again by Mr. Ray, both privately and publicly, including his latest public opining on my single-word applause for Andrew's leaving.

In response to repeated censorship of my challenges to Mr. Plato's analytical conclusions, I rarely post to the list, and only reply with help and advice off-line. Not surprisingly, I too don't have time for "this crap". I do, however, make the time to help others, even if that help does not meet the approval of Big Brother Mr. Ray.

I, for one, welcome the future when people can post questions and responses without fear of being insulted and hounded into a corner, out of the glaring light of Mr. Plato's imagined brilliance.

Thom Randolph