RE: Goodbye TECHWR-L

Subject: RE: Goodbye TECHWR-L
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:10:31 -0400

You know, there are times it really sucks to be a technical communicator,
and this is one of them.

There are a lot of narrow-minded, thin-skinned people in this profession.
Their righteous indignation is a direct contributor to the way the
profession as a whole is regarded. This is yet another instance of the
immaturity and inability of those types of people to accept someone else's
point of view if it conflicts with their own.

A message to those of you who, at this very second, are seething - grow up.
There's a One Step Program out there for you: Get over it.

I will miss Andrew. A lot. He had a great deal to say, and he expressed his
reasoned opinions in his own inimitable style. He contributed monetarily and
philosophically to the list, and both will be sorely missed. Maybe not
today, but there will be a cost that will be paid.

I've been in the doc business for almost 30 years, and in my experience I
have come across something very like almost every incident that he
mentioned. I don't agree with everything he said, but then, I don't agree
with all of what anyone has to say. I have my own opinions, but they are
ALWAYS open to investigation to see if they remain the right opinions.

I don't know what I will do about this, but I am angry. I am half inclined
to attempt, however feebly, to become the New Andrew. I am equally inclined
to fade away.

I'll think about it.

And the rest of you - you think too. This - thinking - may be a new
experience for some of you. Do not blithely accept what you have been told
by anyone else. Look at the things you hold dear and true. Analyze one of
those things and see, if maybe, just maybe, there is another side of the
situation that could be equally valid for someone else. Then see how that
affects your side of the argument. You might be surprised.

My 2¢,

John