Re: Instruction Manual Help Request

Subject: Re: Instruction Manual Help Request
From: Richard Sanchez <richardsan2000 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:40:19 -0700 (PDT)

Sure, I'm game, although I don't know who David is and
I don't know what thick skin has to do with anything.
I have been asked to do something that will require me
to gain experience as I go. Where is the shame in
that? Further more, I have nothing to apologize for
and I have a family to feed so I will not quit and
tell my employer to come to this board to find someone
more worthy. I may not have the experience yet to
author help material, but I am not stupid.

I came to this group with a sincere request for help
and have received it.

To elaborate. I was targeted for tech writing for a
few reasons I believe:
1. No one else wants to do it
2. No one has time and its a one person job (so I'm
told)
3. I have time because the work I was hired to do is
not coming in (authoring of online course material and
admin for a Learning Management System)

Additionally, I sought help here, in the form of
recommended books etc. for a few reasons:
1. I am not being offered any support at work. No
mentor, no examples to look to. Nada
2. I can't expect a group like this to offer tons of
free advice and hand-holding so asking for direction
seemed like a good way to go.

Further more, if someone, like myself has no other
resources, why not look to books etc? I would love to
be working under or with someone with experience, but
that ain't happenin here. So I look to the web,
community of experts, and books.

I'm happy to participate in dialogue however; I find
it presumptuous to assume that it "will be a while"
before I can offer anything in the way of technical
assistance. The fact that I came here looking for help
with a specific discipline (instruction manual
writing) does not mean I bring nothing to the table.
That said, I do appreciate all the help and
suggestions that have been offered.
-RS

--- John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> > I have been asked to write an Instruction Manual
> for a
> > web-based customer service management type system.
> > have been asked, because no one else has time and
> > seemed like a good canidate. I have no formal
> training
> > in tech writing. I am wondering if anyone can
> direct
> > me to a good resource for learning about writing
> > step-by-step instructions for using software. The
> end
> > product is going to be web-based with graphics
> showing
> > various screens in the application. Where does one
> > begin with this type of task?
>
> David...I don't know how to address this question
> without you or
> others taking offense, and I honestly don't mean it
> that way to
> you...you are only the messenger. However, what your
> message is
> showing is becoming a widespread problem in this
> business and I'd
> like to discuss it. If you're up to it and have a
> thick skin, I think
> we can all learn something.

So,
Richard...I hope you don't take offense with this, it
truly is a request for dialog, not a jab at your
question. It seems that you

http://taxes.yahoo.com/