Re: And you wonder why people lurk...

Subject: Re: And you wonder why people lurk...
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:07:43 -0600

Justin suggests:

> Appreciate humor for humor...or humour for humour...
> thinly cloaked, but cloaked none-the-less.

Agreed. However, it has repeatedly been made clear to me that some
literal-minded list members only recognize humor if you tag the subject
line "HUMOR - THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY - DO NOT TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY"

Problem is, it's tough to fit all that into a subject line.

To anybody who's got their Hanes in a bunch over this issue, I humbly
suggest this:

Read Andrew's first post in the Font Methodology thread. Ignore the title
in his subject line; just read the post.

To me, it's an amusing little anecdote: he had a funny moment at work,
where HE of all people actually had to address a font issue, and all his
employees made fun of him, knowing how he felt about font-fondling. It was
cute. Not hilarious. Not his funniest post. But cute. Hardly a call to
arms for Fans of Fonts, at least not in my eyes.

I think for some list members it's easy to get mad at him, knowing his
history as an Anti Font Fondler, and/or his history of being opinionated
and none too shy. And I *do* think he has trolled in the past. But not
this time; not in my opinion.

If you dislike him, fine. But to then assume everything he writes is
written with malice aforethought seems to me to border on paranoia. When
in doubt, READ the post, even if the return address makes you suspect that
you'll not find the message to be of any value.

And as they say in the movie "Stripes" - Lighten up, Francis!
(you got Shakespeare, I got Bill Murray movies)

-Keith Cronin