RE: Tech Writing Question

Subject: RE: Tech Writing Question
From: Rosemary J Horner <rhorner -at- quellos -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:11:55 -0700

I've just started working as a tech writer, creating online help for
proprietary apps. Like Richard, I have no formal training, and just a little
experience as one of the many things I did at a dotcom.

Amazingly, I've received functional specs for all of the projects I'm
supposed to be working on--5 so far! Unfortunately, I've found them to be
only moderately helpful, and mostly for definitions of terms in the app as
opposed to functionality. And I haven't had much luck interviewing the
Project Manager or engineers for an overall explanation--they say "Read the
spec."

Most of what I find myself doing is testing, writing about it when things
work, and filing bug reports or pestering the PM or QA guys with _very_
specific questions when they don't.

Working in this mode, I find it very hard to create a project schedule or
estimate how long anything is going to take. Does anybody have any tips on
that?

Thanks,
Rosemary