RE: Time to perfom a procedure

Subject: RE: Time to perfom a procedure
From: Michele Marques <msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 07:27:07 -0400

John wondered:

> What I would like to know is if anyone has ever included in the
> document the amount of time that an average user from the targeted
> audience should be able to perform the process.

When I write about systems or servers that are used by a number of people concurrently (e.g. ERP systems), I try to include a time estimate when documenting procedures that require the system or server to be unavailable to most users. For example, when describing the procedures to upgrade the system to the next version or describing disaster recovery procedures, it is useful to include a time estimate, so that the reader knows how much (longer) the system will be unavailable to most users - and if it is for a planned activity, can plan an appropriate time to schedule the activity. This time estimate is never how much time the average user should take, but a reasonable maximum time to allow (e.g., allowing for the slowest recommended system, someone working slowly, etc.) - the reader is unlikely to complain about the procedure being completed ahead of schedule but could have problems if the procedure takes longer to complete than planned (especially if the system is critical to business operations).

- Michele Marques
msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com
http://members.rogers.com/msmarques