Re: Style Guide vs. GUI terminology

Subject: Re: Style Guide vs. GUI terminology
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:13:39 -0700 (PDT)

Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca> wrote:

> Because users may occasionally need to use the righthand mouse
> button, you need a different term for that, and that's where
> "right-click on X" comes in. There's some logic to the
> suggestion that a few users rewire their mice to switch the
> left and right buttons, and thus, that "right click" isn't the
> best term, but my take on this is that anyone smart enough to
> rewire the mouse will know they've done so and will know what
> to do when they see the instruction "right click".

We avoid the left/right problem by saying "Click mouse button 3
on" instead. Of course, here in UNIX land users usually have a
three-button mouse but even in our x86 docs we prefer the number
to the position to allow for cases where the user has switched.

Janice Gelb | Just speaking for me, not Sun.
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/