Re: charging for the "commuting" part of telecommuting?

Subject: Re: charging for the "commuting" part of telecommuting?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:21:02 -0400

Suzanne Townsend wrote:

> Just as a point of interest -- a few years ago a banker told me that Arthur
> Andersen was the ONLY consulting company that charged for time and expenses
> in travelling to their clients. If you are self-employed, this is usually a
> cost of doing business. I agree, build it into your hourly rate -- and/or
> deduct the expenses on your tax return!

The information from your banker was inaccurate. My policy has been to
charge full rates for travel during normal office hours and 1/4 rates
for travel outside of office hours. I have never met resistance to that
policy. HOwever, it is important that the travel issue be resolved at
the very beginning, while the honeymoon is still on. No one should be
afraid to charge a fair amount for their services. I would rather go
fishing than be underpaid. When one has that positive attitude, it comes
through to the client. YMMV.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity,"
- Einstein-