Re: Poll suggestion: Lurkers

Subject: Re: Poll suggestion: Lurkers
From: "Mike MacLean" <Michael -dot- MacLean -at- alcatel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 12 Apr 2002 14:18:48 -0400

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

> I'd like to poll the lurkers. My question: Why lurk?

Good question. Here are the main reasons why I mostly lurk:

1) I sarted reading this list in September of 1999 when I first started as a
tech writer. For the first while, I was simply a sponge, trying to soak up the
tidal wave of information that is TECHWR-L. I didn't feel there was much a tech
writer of 3 months could teach a list full of experienced writers. I've
responded occasionally to questions I feel qualified to answer (how to break
into TW, telecom & networking, Frame, book reviews, etc.) but in general I've
kept quiet because....

2) I read messages once or twice per day and generally by the time I read them,
they've been answered pretty well. I do get individual messages but I filter
them to a folder outside my inbox for later consumption. However, by the time
that I read them, they've been thouroughly explored in most cases.

3) With regard to Catherine's concern about reading TECHWR-L on work time, I can
understand the feeling. I've had some of the same thoughts. However, this year
I've actually worked it into my training plan, worked out with my manager. I
figure that I've learned far more from reading this list than from most of the
training I've taken. I've gained more in productivity than I've invested in
reading/responding to posts.

4) I agree with those that have stated a preference for seeing replies online. I
try to send mine online although there have been a number of occasions when I
have accidentally sent them offline by hitting (pressing? clicking? clicking on?
mashing?) the Reply button tather than the Reply All button.

I guess this would also be a good segue to thank all those who have been regular
contributors to the list, and have made it the great resource that it is. I
would make a list but for the fact that it would be so long that the list server
would bounce my message. There are a number of posters whose posts always seem
to be insightful/helpful/amusing/thought-provoking.

My twoonie worth.

--

Michael MacLean
Information Developer

It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive. - Bruce Springsteen