Re: Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Telecommuting
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:24:32 +0200

I live in Spain, so I have no choice but 100% telecommute - I'm just not effective as a writer in Spanish. I agree that there is some loss of value. You will be hard-pressed to be the product expert everybody relies on for the tough questions. Even if you know more than everybody else, your opportunities to contribute at that level are limited. It just works out that the boundaries around what you do are more solid - this can be good since you have fewer distractions, but it can be bad since you don't spread out as much. I find that I have to charge less than I would charge if I contracted on site, or at least on continent. In fact, I have two rates - if you want me on site you pay extra.

That said, I can tell you that there's no problem finishing projects on time. If you are a quick study, can think for yourself, and know how to communicate, you should have no problem getting the information you need. People get used to dealing with you remotely. I find engineers like it - emails are less intrusive than a knock on the door.
But I really miss the jokes, irrelevant arguments, etc. It's fun meeting new people at work. Darn it, now I have to do that in a broader social context. And in Spanish, to boot.

I also agree with the probationary approach. Try it out for two days a week. Set metrics. Work out the connectivity ahead of time. Provide as much of your own equipment as possible. Get a fast connection. Remember, in the beginning you are *adding* a burden, not removing it. You should try to shoulder as much of that burden as you can. Identify the burdens from your manager's POV, and propose ways *you* can assume them. Just trying to do so will go a long way.

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML