RE: Contracting confusion/frustration

Subject: RE: Contracting confusion/frustration
From: "tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:55:52 -0400 (EDT)

I have been writing for some years now and this is the first taste I have of contracting. I do not like it. I too feel the same (either deserved or undeserved) indignation at being referred to as "hired help" or a "temp." Unfortunately, the job market has seemed to fall flat recently and I find myself staying only because I can find nothing else (and believe me I update my resume and send it out regularly). I do believe that your work environment (people, tools, and workload)are the biggest factors in your job satisfaction. If those are good, then it shouldn't matter whether you have stock options or not.

People on this list will tell you that the biggest difference between permanent and contract is that a contractor gets more money. That used to be true but now it seems "they" know they can get you for less money so you (like me) may end up working for the same pay a permanent employee will get but without the benefits. Only difference is that Temp Agency is getting a portion of your pay for doing nothing.

If I find another permanent position, I am gonna jump on it and not let it go. I learned my lesson.

Visit iWon.com - the Internet's largest guaranteed cash giveaway!