Re: Remote reviewers, document markup, FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Remote reviewers, document markup, FrameMaker
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:11:14 -0400

Rebecca,

I've always been fond of the PDF solution (unfortunately, Adobe discontinued Acrobat Business Tools, which was an economical way to accomplish what you want; but you can check their volume licensing options at their site). In practice, though, this requires that your reviewers be tool geeks. If they are sales and marketing or managment types, they may not be willing to learn how to use the tool effectively. You'll have to judge that issue for yourselves.

A low-tech alternative for the tool averse is marking up documents and faxing them back. (You email a PDF, they print locally and mark up in ink.) I've found that some reviewers just like this better. Heck, sometimes I like it better myself, if someone gives me a really awful document to review. It's a lot easier to circle a passage and draw an arrow to where it should be moved than it is to indicate the move in an Acrobat sticky note.

>From my point of view, the only issue that sometimes arises is legibility, and a quick email or phone call straightens that out.

Dick